<% if now() < cdate("10/02/2017 10:00:00") then %>
Headlines & Announcements
Nominations for 2017 Society Awards
The Society supports a total of 8 awards; two of these - the George S. Hammond Award and the Nicholas J. Turro Award - are being considered in alternate years, and this year will be the inaugural Turro Award. I'd also like to call your attention to another new award initiated for this year, the Gerhard Closs Post-doctoral Award. This new award was created as a result of discussions during the January 2017 Executive Committee meeting as a means of recognizing work by post-docs (something that the other award constructs did not enable). Many of our post-docs are planning careers in academia, and we feel that this type of an award can be a great catalyst for their careers. In brief, the Awards for 2017 are as follows:
Details concerning the nomination procedures for each of these awards can be found here. The nomination packets should be sent as a single pdf file by email to Jim McCusker. Please use the subject line 2017 I-APS [Name of Award] Nomination (e.g. "2017 I-APS Award in Photochemistry Nomination").
- I-APS Award in Photochemistry, in recognition of outstanding contributions by a member of the society (primarily focusing on the past 10 years of work)
- I-APS Young Investigator Award, in recognition of outstanding work by a junior investigator (must have started their independent career no earlier than Fall 2012)
- Nicholas J. Turro Award, in recognition of outstanding research and student mentorship spanning a period of at least 20 years
- Gerhard Closs Student Award, in recognition of outstanding work by a student researcher (either graduate or undergraduate)
- Gerhard Closs Post-doctoral Award, in recognition of outstanding work by a post-doctoral research associate
- G. Cilento Award, in recognition of outstanding contributions by a younger colleague (age 35 or less) from Central or South America
- I-APS Fellow, in recognition of a lifetime of achievements in the field of photochemistry through research and/or service to the community
Nominations must be submitted no later than October 1, 2017.
View Nomination Procedures
<% end if %>
Dear I-APS Community,
With sadness I write to inform you that our colleague Marshall Wilson of Bowling Green State University passed away yesterday after a brief illness. He was surrounded by family, friends, and BGSU colleagues, passing peacefully and without pain.
Marshall celebrated his 80th birthday last October in Bowling Green, and he was made an I-APS Fellow in January 2019. He was a truly outstanding photochemist, and a great teacher and mentor. He will be missed.
A more detailed obituary and plans for a memorial service will follow.
Please keep Marshall's family in your thoughts during this difficult time.
2019 Award Winners
The 2019 I-APS Award Winners will be presenting invited talks in honor of their awards at the 29th Winter I-APS Conference at the Lido Beach Resort in Sarasota, Florida, January 2-5, 2020.
2019 I-APS Award in Photochemistry:
Professor Felix ("Phil") Castellano, North Carolina State University
2019 I-APS Young Investigator Award:
Professor Joshua Vura-Weis, The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
2019 Gerhard Closs Graduate Student Award:
Yishu Jiang, Northwestern University
(Advisor: Professor Emily Weiss, Northwestern University)
2020 Nicholas J. Turro Award:
Professor Juan ("Tito") Scaiano, University of Ottawa
I-APS & Related Events
29th Winter I-APS Conference
Lido Beach Resort
Sarasota, Florida, USA
Schedule & Abstracts
enthusiastically welcome your membership! In
addition to our members in academia, industry, and
government, students are also encouraged to join I-APS
to facilitate professional training and contact
Join today to receive our annual newsletter and
attend the Winter Conference in a sunny destination
(where photons are always plentiful).
Click to learn more.
Donate Online >The Inter-American Photochemical Society has over
600 members in academia, industry and government
throughout North and South America, positioning
members to network around the world for contacts,
careers, and knowledge.